A view of Tarbert Street, well before Central Otago Sports Depot existed!

The horses in the background are stopped outside the Caledonian Hotel. The hotel was built of wood and stone. It contained thirteen bedrooms, two sitting-rooms, a dining-room with seating accommodation for sixteen guests, and a billiard-room. The stable, at the back of the hotel, contained six stalls and two loose-boxes. The Caledonian Hotel was established about 1869 and was still standing and operating as a hotel in 1948. The name was changed to Hotel Alexandra by 1949.


The building currently occupied by Central Otago Sports Depot has previously been home to a bakery, a florist, hairdresser, dental technician, radio repairman, a radio station and even the Alexandra Herald newspaper.